|Demon: the Fallen Rules|
D:tF Animated Glyph
created by Nysie
- Fallen Society in DC
MAKING A D:tF CHARACTER
BOOKS IN USE
DEMON THEMED MEDIA
LINKS TO DEMON RELATED WEB SITES
The Fallen in Washington, DC had the standard Feudal hierarchy in place. There was an NPC Baron Tyrant, and 5 Ministers (Aurochs, Dragons, Dust, Eagles, Lions). There are some PC's with actual Rank (not to be confused with Eminence). The Fallen Society is Martial in nature, and will be played out thus IC. Now that the Time of Judgment is nearing, many of these structures are no longer in place.
"The player characters are, as the title implies, demons, escaped or evicted from their eternal torment in Hell as a result of a major tempest in the land of the dead, which borders the demonic prison and weakened the barriers preventing the demons from escaping. Not all of the demons are able to escape -- the biggest and most powerful demons are unable to slip through the cracks in Hell's walls -- but the lower ranking members of Hell's legions can slip through to Earth.
"The pull of the Abyss is strong, however, and in order to remain on Earth a demon must anchor itself in a human -- the chosen host has generally had their own soul essentially destroyed in some way for the demon to take over. This union creates an interesting hybrid being. The demon has access to all of the host's memories and knowledge, along with their own understanding of the nature of the universe (though the amount of demonic lore actually available depends on background attributes chosen at character creation).
"There is another, more interesting side effect of this union. For many demons it is a life-altering experience. The humanity, emotion and pathos they sometimes feel break the cycle of anguish and torment they have suffered for untold millennia, reawakening in them the seeds of the angels they once were.
"There is no evidence of angels on Earth -- the Heavenly Host is absent from creation. Also missing is Lucifer himself. The leader of the rebellion was not locked in Hell with his followers, and his current whereabouts and activities are unknown.
"In addition, prior to the Maelstrom that weakened the chains of Hell several demons were summoned to Earth by magi and managed to stay anchored, rather than returning to Hell. Called the "Earthbound", they never had the insight that union with a human host gives new demons, and continue to torment humanity whenever they get the chance. The Earthbound are the "big bads" of the setting, clearly intended to be the masterminds behind elaborate plots, and seldom making appearances in the flesh.
"These circumstances provide for some potentially interesting metaplot developments. Why is the Heavenly Host absent from Earth, and what does that mean for the World of Darkness in general? Why was Lucifer not imprisoned with the other rebels, where is he now, and what (if anything) is he up to? Are the Earthbound responsible in some way for the long-term damage and corruption that exists in the World of Darkness, or are they merely taking advantage of some other, more fundamental, design flaw?
[BACK TO TOP]
At the present time, the Demon ST has no restrictions on PC character types.
[BACK TO TOP]
MAKING A D:tF CHARACTER:
The following is merely a "cheat sheet" or guide. You are highly encouraged to at least buy or get access to the core book (WW8200).
Using the Template that you can download HERE:
1. Player Name: Put your name (and preferably also your email address).
2. Mortal Name: Put the name of your character (Mortal Host).
3. Celestial Name: Put the name of your Fallen (not "True Name"). Note: You should not reveal this name to other PC's lightly, as it has power over your Demon IC.
4. Chronicle: Put "Washington, DC By Night" or just "DC By Night" or "11th Hour"
5. Nature: Choose from the list HERE (link under construction). This is your true Nature, not the face the world sees. This aspect is vital, as you must act in the spirit of your True Nature to regain lost or spent Willpower.
6. Demeanor: Choose from the same list as #5. Your Demeanor is the face you put on to the world, how you act. Nature and Demeanor must not be the same type.
7. Mortal Concept: The archetype of your Mortal Host. There is an actual list of concepts HERE (link under construction). We do realize that some of them may not fit exactly but do the best you can. Concepts are usually a 1-2 word root-level label for who your character is at the core (not in a supernatural sense). Examples might be: Drifter, Intellectual, Party Animal, Politician, Misguided Prophet, Socialite. These are stereotypes and needn't be literal; details would be covered in your background.
8. Demon Concept: The archetype of your Fallen PC (1-2 words)
9. House (Sebettu), the seven celestial houses of angels: There are Seven Houses of the Fallen --
The player characters are divided up into seven different groups (called Houses), based on the choir of angels they belonged to before the rebellion. Each of them was given charge over a different aspect of creation, and this authority carried through to their demonic existence. The houses are, in order from highest to lowest:
10. Faction: There are Five Factions of the Fallen --
11. Visage: Your Apocalyptic/Revelationary form of choice. Each confers various addition powers. The Demon ST may have to help you choose the powers and aspects of your Apoc Form.
12. Title: This should usually be left blank at startup unless the Demon ST tells you your character already has a title. Normally you earn it in RP, usually from the Baron Tyrant in charge.
13. Attributes (Physical/Social/Mental): You will have 7/5/3 starting dots. Give thought to spending them according to the kind of person your character is, not what looks neat or what you think you have to have to keep from being killed.
14. Abilities (Talents/Skills/Knowledges): You will have 13/9/5 starting dots. You may not have anything above 3 dots in Initial Stage here.
Please do not "Min-Max" either (where you have all your dots in just a couple areas, and nothing anywhere else).
lso remember new characters grew up in the modern world. That means it is unlikely you don't know at least a LITTLE Computers and how to Drive. Some may not but you should be able to justify this in the background.
NB: Specializations (for Attributes and/or Abilities) -- If you have a 4 or higher, you may take a specialization in something, but the bonus rerolling ONLY is done when you are using that specific specialization.
Example, if you have an Appearance of 4 and your specialization is "Sexy", you only get the bonus when you are trying to deliberately be "sexy" in your RP.
15. Advantages (Backgrounds/Lores/Virtues): You get 3 starting Lores dots. You have 5 starting dots for Backgrounds (we highly recommend at least Resources 2 in order to be able to afford to live in DC at all, but you can also buy this up with Freebies.) You have 3 starting dots for your Virtues.
The Fallen's powers are called Lores, and there are a total of 23 different lores to choose from. Each of the houses has three lores unique to their house, and there are two more "common" lores that any demon can learn. The lores are arranged in the standard five-point scale of the Storyteller system, so there are a total of 115 individual evocations (as the individual powers are called) that can be generated.
16. Merits & Flaws: Add in Initial Stage. You may not have more than 7 total points of either Merits or Flaws. Any overages can be adjusted in Freebies stage: if you have more Merits than Flaws, subtract the difference from your Freebies. If you have more Flaws than Merits you may add the difference to your allowed Freebies (up to 22 total (15+7) Max). There is a list of currently approved Merits & Flaws HERE (link under construction).
17. Faith: Faith is what powers demonic powers, and it behaves in many ways like Glamour from Changeling. Like Torment, Faith is rated on a scale of 1 through 10, with both a permanent and temporary rating.
18. Torment (Permanent & Temporary): Torment is, basically, the demonic equivalent of Vampire's humanity trait. Rated on a scale of 1 through 10, it measures how close the demon is to their true angelic heritage.
19. Willpower: [NEEDS FURTHER EXPLANATION]
20. Apocalyptic Form: [NEEDS FURTHER EXPLANATION]
You may use the guidelines from the D:tF Player's Guide WW8202 to create your Apoc form.
21. Pacts: [NEEDS FURTHER EXPLANATION]
22. Thralls: [NEEDS FURTHER EXPLANATION]
23. Description: Self Explanatory - fill in the blank summary.
24. Equipment/Clothing, Notes: You can put notes in here for things that have no other spot, but the space is limited. Things that need further explaining, put on your background.
Secondary Abilities: Fallen are entitled to these, however the current template we have doesn't have a slot for them yet. There are extra slots in the Primary Abilities Section, so for now you can probably use those.
There is a list of currently approved Secondary Abilities HERE (link under construction).
You may then switch the template to FREEBIES stage and you have 15 freebies to spend.
USEFUL BOOK REFERENCES:
Backgrounds, Book WW****, pg. *
Merits and Flaws, Book WW****, pg. *
NOTE ON FALLEN PC BACKGROUNDS:
WHO APPROVES YOUR SHEET / WHO IS D:tF ST?:
[BACK TO TOP]
"Do not fear those who deprive the body of life but cannot destroy the soul.
[BACK TO TOP]
**NOTE: A PC may not assume to know the "aura" or reading of a Demon until they have earned this knowledge IC, via RP, buying Demon Lore, or info from an approved background. Otherwise, they may see the reading as stated, but it has no meaning to them.
[BACK TO TOP]
There is no
god up in the sky tonight; No sign of heaven anywhere in sight
-- Nine Inch Nails, "Suck"
DEMON THEMED MEDIA:
BOOKS: The Bible, The Book of Enoch, The Apocrypha, the Koran/Qur'an, the Torah, "Needful Things" by Stephen King (Malefactor), The Devil & Daniel Webster by Stephen Vincent Benet, "Faust" by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe, "Gods of War" by Brian Stewart, Paradise Lost by John Milton, Hellblazer (Comic by DC/Vertigo), Hellboy (Comic by Mike Mignola), In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas (RPG), In Nomine (Steve Jackson RPG)
MOVIES: The Prophecy, The Exorcist, John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness, Hellraiser, Legend [Devil], The Seventh Sign, The Omen, Devil's Advocate, End of Days, Angel Heart [Devil], Se7en, Stigmata, Fallen, Witches of Eastwick (Nicholson as Satan), Twilight of the Dark Master, Bedazzled (1967) (2000) [Pacts], Wishmaster [Pacts], Rosemary's Baby [Luciferians], Something Wicked This Way Comes [Pacts], The Devil Rides Out, Guardian of the Abyss, Fallen (1998), The Ninth Gate, The Rapture
MUSIC: "Sympathy For The Devil" by The Rolling Stones, "Lily" by Kate Bush, "Prince of Darkness" by The Indigo Girls, "Dark Angel" by VNV Nation, 'Murder Was The Case" by Snoop Doggy Dogg, "Damien" "The Omen" & Damien III by DMX, "Hellfire" from Soul Calibur 2 (video game), "Scornful of the Motives and Virtue of Others" and "Given Flight by Demons Wings" both by Shai Hulud, Most of the album "Theater of War" (2001) by Jacob's Dream, "Heaven is a Dark Place" by The Hungry Ghost, "Fall From Grace" by Morbid Angel, Most of the album "Fall From Grace" (1999) by Lion's Share, "Devil Went Down To Georgia" by Charlie Daniels Band, "No Place For Angels" & "Psycho Man" by Ozzy Osbourne, "Angels Holocaust" "The Last Laugh" "Depths Of Hell" "Dante's Inferno" "Disciples Of The Lie" "Prophecy" & the whole album "The Dark Saga" by Iced Earth, "Crossroads" by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
POETRY: Charles Baudelaire's "Les Fleurs du Mal" (The Flowers of Sickness & Evil), John Milton's "Paradise Lost", Dante Alighieri's "Inferno", "Lucifer In Starlight" by George Meredith, "Nocturne: The Angels" by Xavier Villaurrutia
THEATER: "The History of the Devil: Scenes From a Pretended Life" by Clive Barker, "Stella Goes To Hell" by Ian Fuller, "Lucifer Tonight" by Don Becker, "Angels In America" by Tony Kushner, "Jesus Hopped the 'A' Train" by Stephen Adly Guirgis
[BACK TO TOP]
Quintessential Demon Archetypes in Media & Myth:
[BACK TO TOP]
LINKS TO DEMON RELATED WEB SITES:
Angel/Demon Random Name Generator: http://www.seventhsanctum.com/gens/adnamegen.php
Blaze's Demon Page: http://www.blazeofnight.com/roleplaying/demon/index.htm
Catholic Online Angel Pages: http://www.catholic.org/saints/angel.shtml
Celestial Hierarchy of the Angels (Church, not WW Canon. Warning - PDF): http://www.suscopticdiocese.org/stmaryatlanta/youth/pdf/TheCelestialHierarchy.pdf
Demon NPCs Index: http://www.pen-paper.net/wod.php?op=npc&npctypeid=25
Eternal Grace Congregation Church (FICTITIOUS, but amusing. There is no #3601 on Calusa Club Dr. in Miami, and their phone # is a 555 exchange ): http://www.father-ramos.com/
Fallen Angels (from the United Church of Espanola in Ontario): http://www.etown.net/unitedchurch/fallenangels.htm
FatelSyn (D:tF Chronicle with some creation rules posted): http://www.indybynight.com/systems/demon/creationd.htm
Free Republic - The Lucifer Rebellion: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/628116/posts
Gallery of Demons - Historical account of demonology and evil in Jewish and Christian belief systems: http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/mythology/watchers.asp
The Giants of Genesis 6: http://www.therain.org/appendixes/app25.html
Liste des Démons (In French but navigatable): http://www.petitjoueur.org/Demon/Doc/Liste-Demons.html
The Predaphile's Den Demon Page: http://www.geocities.com/predaphile/wod-demon-index.html
Return of the Nephilim (rather silly but...): http://www.returnofthenephilim.com/
Sarah's Archangels (List of Angelic Names): http://www.sarahsarchangels.com/angelofday/index.html
#Vampyres`Haven Demon Site: http://www.geocities.com/vampyreshavendisc/demon/Demon.htm
White Wolf's Demon Web Site: http://www.white-wolf.com/demon/demonhome.html
White Wolf PDF with basic Lores & Visages Info (Requires ADOBE to read): http://www.white-wolf.com/demon/demonlores.pdf
[BACK TO TOP]
All Gaming Sourcebooks & Materials for this campaign are
© 1990-2004 White Wolf Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.